Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Life is full of odds and ends

There will be no general theme for this blog--just whatever strikes my fancy when I think of it, hence the gnat's attention span. Some days I may pull myself together enough to write something that corresponds with what's going on in the "real" world, but don't count on it.

Since I just retired after years of working in a library, I will probably comment from time to time about books I've been reading, but don't expect critical reviews. I just will tell you whether I liked the book or not. If you read the same type things I do, take heed. While I was on vacation I read Alexander McCall Smith's The World According to Bertie, which is part of the 44 Scotland Street series. I must admit I had read the first book in series and hadn't been that excited about it. I do love Bertie, who seems to be a charming little boy, but I really dislike his mother, to the point that I had to really restrain myself from throwing the book at the wall. (Since I was on an airplane at the time, there probably would have been direr consequences than I wanted.) The book is all about the lives of the characters, so there is not a lot of plot advancement but tons of characters. So do I read more of these when they come out? Hmmm, probably for the joy of Bertie.
* * * * *

The older I get the more I understand my mother's wish for a house that was all closets. It's not so much that I collect things as that they collect me. Who needs a puppy to follow me home when I have 2,000 books (thanks, LibraryThing), 75 teacups, 43 hats, and assorted dragons. And that doesn't include the knitting needles, family pictures, CDs, knickknacks, tapes dispensers (where do they hide when they're needed?), and bread pans.
* * * * *
I'm supposed to be getting ready for a visit from my daughter and son-in-law, but this is more fun. I can always find a welcome interruption to housework. Sorry, kiddos, you've got clean sheets on the bed and towels, what more do you need. I'll move the computer off the table when you get here. Luv, luv.

No comments: