Friday, January 9, 2009

I just read in today's paper that the Post Office will be revising routes, consolidating and tightening up things. Business and revenues are down and they are, of course, expected to show a profit. And to think I was only talking on my last post about the joys of catalogs. I don't know if my route will be affected--it sounds more like in some of the northern parts of Kansas City. I hope that I do keep my same mailman. He's been on the route for a long time and is usually very punctual.
I've been reading like crazy--way too many books checked out from the library. I got hold of two old Nero Wolfe mysteries that I missed in the days of my youth. Our local library must not have owned them, because I devoured all of those books with a passion. I was quite entranced with Archie Goodwin at the time, although I must admit my devotion faltered a little when I found out he didn't like women who didn't close their dresser drawers completely. Right now I have The Golden Spiders and Some Buried Caesar in hand, and I'm finding Archie not quite so entrancing. Sometimes it doesn't pay to grow up, I guess.
Anyway, I just finished reading The Wind in the Willows. I know it's a children's book, but I never read it as a child. I had been taken to see the Disney version when I was about 7 and it made absolutely no sense to me. The only other contact I had was at Disneyland when I did the Mr Toad's Ride. That also made no sense to me. I did find the book quite delightful. The four main characters were so well drawn and the relationships are so life-like. Anyway, I'm glad I got to the book. I'm now in the middle of Mark Twain's Life on the Mississippi for a book group.

No comments: