Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year

I've started taking down my Christmas stuff. Usually I wait for the "official" date, January 6, but this year I wanted to finish getting the furniture rearranged. Of course, I've been interrupted. My niece called to see if she could come over to pick up her Christmas gifts. It worked out well. I had her husband help shove furniture around. He also noticed that I hadn't changed the calendar to 2009, so I got that taken care of.

I was fixing lunch for my friend Loire, so I asked the relatives to stay too. I had made up a big pot of leek and potato soup. I looked for the recipe on the internet--big mistake. There are about a gazillion recipes, and the only thing they have in common is at least 1 leek and 1 potato. So I took my 3 leeks and my pound of Yukon Gold potatoes and winged it. Turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself. Had about a cup of 1/2 & 1/2 leftover from Christmas baking so added that when I added the rest of the milk and flavored it with a pinch of rosemary and a smidge of nutmeg.

No comments: