Wednesday, December 3, 2008

"Tis the Season to be Merry

Getting ready for a party can take far longer than the party itself. The bad thing is that I love to plan parties, love to organize parties, (hate to clean the house for parties, which is why I like to plan parties for other people to give), but I really don't like to go to parties.



I also love Christmas time, the whole over the top, over-decorated, over-fed, over-everything--except I don't want it to start until December. Actually, I like the idea of the 12 days of Christmas between December 25 and January 6. We used to laugh about my mother's habit of using so many sequins on Christmas decorations--if it didn't move it was apt to get a little holiday "sparkle". The only thing safe was cookies--and those got lots of frosting and sprinkles or sugar.



I have been reading On Kingdom Mountain by Howard Frank Mosher. Miss Jane Hubbell Kinneson is just enough off balance and feisty enought to appeal to me. The two problems facing her, the proposed highway through "her" wild mountain, and the hunt for Confederate gold by the high flying Henry Satterfield, are big but she is equal to anything. She is armed with a sense of her own rightness, several drams of Who Shot Sam, and an ever-ready over/under shotgun. I liked this story and think it might even make a charming movie (although that rarely happens). Where is Katherine Hepburn when you need her?



Time to go put up another Christmas tree. This year I am only putting up three; the big one in the living room, the smaller one on the upstairs landing, and my poor Charlie Brown tree. It's probably the last year for the PCBT. It leans against the wall and is shedding it's little fake needles all over the bathtub. (Yes, I know it's not usual to put a tree in the bathtub, but what can I say. At least nobody else is using that bath this season.)

1 comment:

gryphondear said...

You didn't TELL me you had started a blog. How am I supposed to come over and write all sorts of comments if I don't know you're here.

:\ Jan
http://gryph-wotd.blogspot.com/

ps: rotyped - what happens to the word verification words to make them all squishy looking.